Thursday, August 8, 2013

Accessorizing a room, stencils, and stunning furniture finishes.

Accessories make a room.
At least thats what I find most of the time~and it seems to be 
the hardest thing for many to do well.
I accessorized this space for a client of mine after we nailed down
the room layout and got the furnishings and draperies in place.
Working with HomeGoods selection of many different styles
all in one place makes the job of accessorizing pretty easy.
I always try to buy more than I need so I have options when I go
to do my tablescapes.  You can always return what you don't think works
later on, but the more you have to play with, the better your results will be.
So tip #1~buy more than you need.
This is the before photo~not bad, but it is not very interesting.
compared to the photo above after I accessorized the space.
This area is in Heather's living room behind the sofa. It is a nice
place to pay some bills, set up the laptop, and look out the back window
while the dog runs around after the kids.
A selection of topiaries from HomeGoods in grey terracotta pots add softness. 
Use faux or live greenery like this to add a little life to your vignettes.  I also
grabbed this yellow chevron tray~its covered in fabric and its a nice way
to layer some more pattern as well as give a place for Heather to throw her daily mail.
A pair of vintage lamps and a cute little clock from my shop rounded out the desktop.
The other piece of furniture in this area is the vintage 
fall front desk that I found for Heather. 
A nice big Paris clock fits the french lines of the desk and is the 
the right shape for above the desk.  More artwork would have 
competed with the large painting over the console desk.
Another HomeGoods cache of accessories included a topiary, 
large faux pear, pineapple finial in rustic gold,
 a rococo photo frame in antiqued gold and a few other goodies
that look cool on a desk like a notebook with metallic chevron and zebra stripes.
When Heather entertains this fall front will switch roles and become 
a serving bar for mixing up a few cocktails!
Love a multi-purpose piece with style galore.
Try putting pieces on top of old books for an easy decorator look.
I rip the book jackets off of my hardbound books and then organize
them by color and then use in rooms for accents pieces.
Books look great with everything.
We used lots of shades of green and black through out the room.
 Don't forget to check the clearance items too~
this neat terrarium container was a steal.
I filled it up with green moss balls and then added a pile of
rustic wooden pencils to a garden motif ceramic plate,
all found at HomeGoods.
You can see the desk area behind the sofa~now the room has
got personality and its largely in part to the accessorizing!
So get out there and fill up your cart~you will have a "Happy by Design"
 result after adding some coordinated accessories to your rooms!
You can check out my Pinterest boards by clicking on the poster above
and see the HomeGoods board as well as my other boards and I think 
you may find much decorating inspiration there.
On the Maison Decor store front at 150 Main Street Reading, Mass we have 
just added the Royal Design Studio stencil collection.
Colin got our display up and running and we have so many to choose from~
Chevrons, Animal prints, Damasks, French motifs, Numerals, Moroccan and more.
We also got our Artisan Enhancements display finished as well.
This Rustic Chateau console has lots of layering and its got that
glamorous rustic look with a touch of gilding that I favor.
Justin used Crackle Tex and Finestone on this piece after Colin got the
base coat of Antoinette down. Then after Crackle Tex we added Country Grey
and Justin worked the crackley crud peeling magic on the console.
I finished it off with a dark wax glaze and a touch of Empire Gold gidling wax.
A real collaborative project with all 3 of us taking part.
Hint of pink Antoinette Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan hides
 under the Country Grey layer on top.
See the itty bit of gold on the edges? 
The Antoinette pulls out bits of pink in the marble top.
Marie Antoinette would have loved this piece!
Artisans Enhancements were used to do the Rustic Chateau console as 
well as the French Provincial Pearl dresser below.
And thats the latest from Maison Decor!
Post Script~
For those of you interested in our August Chalk Paint Intro
class, there are only a couple of spots left for the 8/18 class.
Register online at shopmaisondecor.com



Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty accessorizing, Amy! I just love that clock. I've always done the same thing ~ buy more than I know we need and return what we don't use. It has always worked out great {although, I used to worry about getting a reputation as a "returner"!}.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy I LOVE everything about that room!! I agree accessorizes make a room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to let you know I'm ready your article in Romantic Homes, June 2013 and it is amazing what you've done! I hope all of your dreams come true! I highly recommend this story to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope someday I can visit one of your shops! In the meantime, I would love to see you post a detailed tutorial on using the Artisan Enhancements products. I'm tempted to order some, but don't know how to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job accessorizing that room! I love those little topiaries you used. I agree that the accessories are what give the room life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the splash of color from the pillows. Lovely room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy! Beautiful job accessorizing that room! I'm about to make a set of pillows out of a fabric so similar to that chair seat (the green chair)! Looks like you are doing really well - Congratulations and keep up the good work! Michelle Jamieson / www.newengland-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for making the effort and spreading this information with all of us. It was indeed very useful and informative while being straight forward and to the point.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...